Liverpool Street, how it was done…

dsc00249rx

Some readers may have seen the photograph of Liverpool Street Station above, either on FaceBook, or on my website, and wondered whether or not the station really looked like that.

Well, it did – sort of.  The out of camera image is the one below.

dsc00249rx-2

It is fairly similar in many ways, but I use Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop on all of my work, and on this image I only used Lightroom.

The first thing I did, was to boost the exposure by about a stop.  But I also like to add contrast in an image.  I don’t simply mean luminance contrast – making the whites, whiter and blacks darker.  I like to add colour temperature contrast.  Increasing the colour temperature of brickwork really makes it stand out, so I used an adjustment brush to do that on the brickwork at the far end.  There was already sufficient luminance contrast caused by the spotlights shining onto the wall, so I didn’t feel the need to add any more there.

In order to add colour temperature contrast to the image I then used a graduated filter from the bottom of the image to add a cooler temperature in the lower portion of the image.

Anyway, that is the before and after process, for those who might be interested.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Liverpool Street, how it was done…

  1. Thank you. I use Photoshop. I have never used Lightroom. I think, perhaps, this is enough of an incentive for me to open Lightroom and play with it to see what it does that Photoshop doesn’t,
    Again, thank you.
    Warmest regards, Ed

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s